The "Fair Use Guidelines for Educational Multimedia" is NOT a legal document, but it is interpretation of the law and it only applies to educators who produce multimedia. (Hence applies to me)
Here's something ridiculous that I learned: teachers can only use something they cited for two years, after that they have to get permission to use the source.
The Guidelines in order to stay within fair use are extremely limiting. It doesn't allow you to use very much of any resource.
Mrs. Murphy-Genter brought up a really good point that we have to be really careful and always protect ourselves in terms of citing and getting permission, I never thought about it before. I could potentially get in a lot of trouble, I really have to be more concious of this issue.
And I want to try to use second life but I still don't understand it. It's really confusing. I don't know if there is a glitch with my avitar, but i tried to put pants on her and her skirt won't go away and it's really annoying me! I can't get rid of the damn skirt! AHHH.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I have the same second life frustrations as you do. I learned so much about the whole copyright guidelines. It's actually funny because I didn't know what today's lesson would be on, but I had been talking about a similar issue with friends, after today the questions have been answered.
ReplyDeleteI haven't used Second Life a lot so that is why I brought someone else in but I got stuck wandering around and people come up to you and ask questions. It was a little weird but I really haven't given it much of a chance. You would need to use the teen grid or another virtual world that would be more protected than Second Life where some strange things can go in if you don't know where you are going. I think there are some definite benefits for collaborations between professionals but at this point I'd rather use Eluminate or Skype.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely be wary of sending students into Second Life, unless there were some kind of protections in place. Even in a "teens only" grid, you never know what you might encounter. I'd like to find out more about it and plan to explore a little myself.
ReplyDelete